September 1, 2012

Bio-acrylic acid on the way

So...I just found out yesterday that my goodbye post on my old blog has been taken down by ICIS. I am not sure how this action is beneficial to them except that it looked really mean-spirited to me but I guess that's how some corporations work.

Oh well...

So let me start my second post about bio-acrylic acid. BASF, Cargill and Novozymes announced last month that BASF has joined both Cargill and Novozymes in the development and commercialization of bio-based acrylic acid using sugar-based 3-hydroxypropionic acid (3-HP) for feedstock.

I first reported about this project in January 2008 when Cargill and Novozymes announced back then about their collaboration on 3-HP produced from sugar fermentation using bioengineered organisms. The US Department of Energy gave the project a $1.5m funding.

The companies said back then that their bio-acrylic acid could be ready within five years. Five years later, Cargill and Novozymes have pulled in Germany-based chemical firm BASF, which is the world's largest producer of acrylic acid, according to its press statement.

According to a June 2010 global acrylic acid capacity report from Tecnon OrbiChem (which was published by ICIS), BASF had a total global acrylic acid capacity of 1.14m tonnes/year including the company's joint venture with Petronas in Kuantan, Malaysia (160,000 tonnes) and with YPC (160,000 tonnes).

The other top producers include Dow Chemical, Arkema, StoHaas Monomer, Nippon Shokubai and Formosa Plastics.

Post a Comment