December 14, 2011

Coca-Cola to announce PlantBottle partners

So I got home tonight from school (after an interesting exam) and guess what I found on my email? An invitation for Coca-Cola's announcement on Thursday about a partnership announcement regarding their next-generation PlantBottle packaging.

Of course I am super excited and hoping to get a slot for an interview with somebody from the press conference. There were no details about it but these words on the invitation stand out to me: Next-Generation and partner companies.

So the blog is assuming here that they will talk about not only possible multiple suppliers on the PlantBottle bio-PET supply chain [remember polyethylene terephthalate plastic is made of 30% monoethylene glycol (MEG) and 70% terephthalic acid (TPA) by weight] but Coca-Cola will probably announce which renewable chemical companies will bag the possibility of supplying the TPA component since the current renewable-based component of PlantBottle packaging comes only from sugar-based MEG.

For a background on Coca-Cola's PlantBottle packaging strategy, here's a recent article I wrote on ICIS Chemical Business focusing on my interview with Scott Vitters, general manager for the PlantBottle Packaging platform.



More on this post...
Post a Comment